In the vicinity of Štanjel there is an Austro-Hungarian military cemetery where Austro-Hungarian soldiers and Russian POWs are buried who had died in the nearby war hospital in Štanjel Castle or its subsidiary hospital premises in the surroundings. Already during the Isonzo Front the architect Joseph Ulrich prepared an architectural design for the cemetery at the end of which he planned to erect a grandiose scenic temple facade; the works were only completed in 1918. According to the data of the Italian authorities that managed in the 1930s the disinterring of their soldiers from military cemeteries, 1,315 soldiers are buried here.
The military cemetery lies in a basin southeast of Štanjel. Descend from the centre of Štanjel along a side path towards the railway station and after a good 150 metres you will reach a cart track that crosses the railway line and leads to agricultural land in the basin, where also lies the fenced military cemetery with a mighty central monument.
Center za obiskovalce Pot miru, Kobarid
(The Walk of Peace Visitor Centre, Kobarid)
Gregorčičeva ulica 8
+386 5 389 0167, +386 31 586 296