Buried in this cemetery are Austro-Hungarian soldiers who fell between 1915 and 1917 in the area stretching from Monfalcone/Tržič to Monte Ermada/Grmada. There is a small monument in the cemetery, bearing a bilingual inscription saying: Here rest 1,934 Austro-Hungarian soldiers. On each of about 1,000 crosses the names of two fallen soldiers are inscribed.
During the Eleventh Isonzo Offensive fierce battles raged in this area. The Italian Army fruitlessly attempted to break through the Austro-Hungarian line of defence whose stronghold was on the hill of Monte Ermada. The villages in the vicinity were destroyed, the Duino castle damaged, and either side suffered heavy casualties.
In 1974–1975, the OÖ Jugendfeuerwehrverband (Upper Austrian Young Firefighters Association) started to restore the cemetery, and in 1993, 1996, 2010, and 2012, the Austrian organization of Schwarzes Kreuz (Black Cross) carried it on.
The marked road CAI no. 32, starting at Aurisina/Nabrežina, leads to the cemetery. Continue to the motorway underpass, behind which a meadow spreads out. At its end turn slightly to the left and you are in the karst valley called Šišček where the cemetery is located. The cemetery is 600 metres away from the core of the village, and only a few kilometres away from the outdoor museum on Monte Ermada.