In 1936, the Church of the Holy Cross was turned into the Charnel House in Timau, where 1,763 fallen soldiers are buried. Among them there are 298 unknown Italian soldiers and 65 Austrian ones. The task was assigned to Giannino Castiglioni, already involved in the construction of the Redipuglia/Redipulja, Oslavia/Oslavje and Kobarid charnel houses. The Charnel House in Timau is the last resting place of many fallen soldiers whose mortal remains were transferred here from the cemetery in Timau and various alpine cemeteries. The inside of the Charnel House is enriched with artworks by Giannino Castiglioni, Fragiacomo di Venezia, and religious compositions, dedicated to Friulian tradition. The inauguration took place in May 1939.
Register of the Fallen Soldiers
Coming either from the direction of Austria or Paluzza (UD), follow the road SS52bis. The charnel house is located at the outskirts of Timau at Via don Titta Bulfon.
Associazione Amici delle Alpi Carniche
+39 0433 779168, +39 0433 779078