The Austro-Hungarian military cemetery in Ajdovščina lies next to the civil cemetery. It was organized already in September 1915 and was further extended in October 1916. Buried in it are soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Army who died of wounds in the Ajdovščina hospitals. Buried in this cemetery are also soldiers who died during the Italian aerial bombing of the railway station, market area and field hospitals and their surroundings, as well as pilots who died in numerous air combats in the closer area of Ajdovščina and its surroundings. According to the data of Italian authorities that organized exhumation of soldiers from military cemeteries in the 1930s, 2,514 soldiers remain interred here.
In 1982, the cemetery was rearranged and consequently completely lost its original appearance.
The military cemetery Ajdovščina lies at the fringe of Ajdovščina, next to the civil cemetery. The easiest access to the cemetery is to go from Nova Gorica towards Ajdovščina; on entering the town, you come first to the sports airport and the stadium and then to the military and the civil cemeteries.
Center za obiskovalce Pot miru, Kobarid
(The Walk of Peace Visitor Centre, Kobarid)
Gregorčičeva ulica 8
+386 5 389 0167, +386 31 586 296