The major part of the outdoor museum is taken up by the Dolina del XV Bersaglieri. It is a karst valley or doline between Hill 86 (The Redipuglia Charnel House) and Hill 117 (Monte Sei Busi). The museum area encompasses part of the fortified trenches which ran from Monfalcone/Tržič to Monte San Michele/Debela griža and provided defence of the karst edge during the initial battles along the Isonzo (Soča). The doline got this name because a marking was found here with the symbol of the Bersaglieri Battalion. However, it is also known under the name of Dolina dei Cinquecento (Doline of the Five Hundred), because a collective tomb was discovered here, with five hundred corpses of fallen soldiers who were later disinterred and reburied in the nearby charnel house. In the area of Dolina del XV Bersaglieri, fights for control over it between the Austro-Hungarian and Italian armies started with the First Isonzo Battle, and were going on until July–August 1915, when the area was conquered by Italian troops. Since the front moved eastwards, the valley was no longer on the first front line, so the command could be quartered there and a small war hospital was organized, remains of which can still be seen today as well as numerous structures with trenches and remains of soldiers’ cabins.
Once passing the charnel house of Redipuglia/Redipulja and heading towards Ronchi dei Legionari (Via Terza Armata, SR 305), you soon turn left to Via del Carso. After crossing the rails, just follow Via del Carso and when the signposts for Dolina del XV Bersaglieri appear, follow them until you spot a small parking lot next to the outdoor museum.
After visiting the outdoor museum, continue along this macadam road to Doberdò/Doberdob. The road is not suitable for lower vehicles.
Centro visitatori “Walk of Peace”, IAT Fogliano Redipuglia
(The Walk of Peace Visitor Centre, IAT Fogliano Redipuglia)
Via III Armata, 37
I–34070 Fogliano Redipuglia (GO)
+39 0481 489139, +39 346 176 1913
Corso Italia, 9
+39 0481 535764